Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's Been an Interesting Week in Lake Microbegon

I was a bit alarmed Wednesday, November 10, afternoon when I discovered the water level in my MicroAquarium was alarmingly low.  Was it knocked over and spilled or just overlooked when water should have been added?  Evaporation is pretty significant and water is normally added two to three times per week.

Last week, November 3, I noticed small nematodes in the MicroAquarium.  I wasn't sure what they were but over the week they had grown pretty significantly so I could identify them as nematodes (Rainis and Russell 1996).  They were crawling along the bottom through the sediment looking for food.

Halteria sp. and Pinnularia sp. continue to be the predominant species observed.  Other organisms I continue to see include Ostracods (seed shrimp) (Rainis and Russel 1996) one or two at a time, protozoa, rotifers, and algae.

Below this entry I have attached photographs of Actinosphaerium sp. (Patterson 1996) and Pinnularia sp. (Canter-Lund and Lund 1995).  I only observed Actinosphaerium on one occasion.  What happened to them?


Citations:
Rainis KG, Russel BJ.  1996.  Guide to Microlife.  Danbury, CT:  Franklin Watts.

Patterson DJ.  1996.  Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa.  London:  Manson Publishing, Ltd.

Canter-Lund H, Lund JWG.  1995.  Freshwater Algae.  Bristol (England):  Biopress Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment