Sunday, October 24, 2010

Starting to Identify Some of the Inhabitants

This week I explored my MicroAquarium at a microscope that has a camera attached so you can take photos and also observe on a desktop screen instead of peering through the microscope.  I photographed several creatures and made a short video of a Licanidae rotifer (Thorp and Covich 1991) which can be viewed below.  Other creatures I have identified include a rotifer Pterodina (Ward and Whipple 1918) and a diatom Pinnularia (Canter-Lund and Lund 1995).  Pinnularia stack together and I observed a stack of two and a stack of four.  I will try to attach photos of these and others next week when I have identified more.

I spent a lot of time learning to use the equipment and editing my photos this week.  Next week I plan to spend more time trying to get a sense of the populations of creatures in my MicroAquarium and identifying the creatures I have photographed this week.


Citations:
Thorp JH, Covich AP ed.  1991.  Ecology and Classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrates.  San Diego:  Academic Press, Inc.

Ward HB, Whipple GC.  1918.  Fresh-water Biology.  New York:  John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Canter-Lund H, Lund JWG.  1995.  Freshwater Algae.  Bristol (England):  Biopress Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment